However there are pluses too. My position is new and I will be able to shape it to a much greater extent than I do now. I was assured the new office has travel and programming money. This means I will get to help execute programs all over north India and report on a broad array of issues that affect over 350 million people. I will be able to refine my reporting skills and learn about the country where I reside. As hard as it is for me to leave, I am optimistic about the new job. And to celebrate, I am growing my beard out.
Monday, August 10, 2015
Into the Brush
Earlier today the boss announced what had been in the works for a couple weeks: my reassignment from the Environment, Climate, and Science Unit to the emerging North India office. He honored me by saying some nice things about me during the morning meeting. I am scheduled to stay in my current position until my departure for R&R in September; upon my return I will be responsible for covering economic, environment, science, and technology affairs in the seven states (and two union territories) that constitute our post's consular district: Rajasthan, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, National Capital Territory of Delhi, and Chandigarh. I am not thrilled to leave the EEST Section and there are some real downsides of the move, namely leaving a portfolio I have worked so hard to manage well; but I am also sad to move away from my peers (one of whom wrote this book on Afghanistan) and the people in my unit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment